Key CCG Services
- Program Launch
- Creative Services
A long-established Midwestern bank — and subsidiary of one of the nation’s largest 50 banks — came to CCG for assistance in enhancing its quarterly customer newsletter. The newsletter had been in existence for five years.
Customers seemed appreciative, and their basic expectations were being met. But the communications piece did not create the kind of excitement and return on investment the bank needed.
In fact, the bank wanted to use the newsletter to go beyond simply providing product information to the point of garnering greater profitability and increased affinity between the bank and its customers. By deepening its relationship with customers and demonstrating its value through the newsletter, the bank also hoped to increase loyalty and gain greater share of wallet.
- Create a faster and more flexible production process that would allow for fresher and more timely content
- Localize the content to increase relevancy for customers
- Position the piece as a newsletter that delivers value and increases product knowledge, but does not “push” products
- Encourage interactivity between the bank and its customers
- Validate customers’ decisions to use this bank as their complete financial services provider
- Reinforce the bank’s services to a broader customer base by making the newsletter friendly, easy to read and easy to understand for a wide range of readers
- Drive the bank’s name and products/services to customer “top-of-mind”
- Cross-sell and upsell additional bank products and services without using hard-sell techniques
- Increase incremental balances for each bank customer
- Decrease frequency of shopping around for the best rate
- Generate word-of-mouth referrals
CCG held lengthy strategy discussions with the bank’s management and conducted an analysis of the bank’s current newsletter and other customer relationship marketing tools. The agency then identified opportunities to improve and measure the performance of the customer newsletter through subtle changes that could produce results without jarring readers. CCG implemented these changes immediately to begin early achievement of the objectives.
To enhance the newsletter, CCG:
- Included timely and relevant information on events taking place in the bank’s service area to convey the desired “hometown bank” feeling
- Developed innovative content and story angles that would drive customers to anticipate the publication, read it and build the sense of credibility needed in an effective marketing communication
- Created a natural-feeling flow of information that communicated the “What’s In It For Me” element quickly and intuitively
- Reduced word count while delivering meatier content and ensured the editorial voice was not sacrificed for a promotional one
- Polished the layout and design, departing from expected layout approaches to create a more inviting and exciting look
- Leveraged the bank’s website to increase interactivity through calculators, other tools and additional product information
CCG also recommended using the bank’s website to provide more in-depth content than the printed newsletter, to offer interactive quizzes that help drive the message home and as a vehicle for delivering surveys to gather customer feedback.
The premier issue launched and within two years, readership was higher than ever, and customers reported looking forward to receiving the publication every three months. The production timeline was decreased to eight weeks, allowing the content to remain fresh and timely, an approach applauded by management and customers alike.
The newsletter won several national design and content awards. Most importantly, bank management viewed the new, enhanced newsletter as key to an increased level of customer loyalty — and subsequently increased the budget and resources for the newsletter after just seven issues to ensure the publication continued to achieve objectives.